Hello everyone! Weekend, finally augh :D Getting back to school after break was such a drag, I fell asleep in half of my classes on Monday... oops.
However, I've been connecting with my writer side a lot more (aka my darker side, i would never kill anyone in real life.. maybe?) and I've often had to remind myself of simple little things, that have really made my writing experience a lot better.
While you're writing, it may be helpful to remind yourself of these things, you know, so you don't want to like completely rip your hair out. (comment if u relate)
i absolutely adore this book it's so inspiring and beautiful just get it ok #notaspon
1. You have literally read your writing thousands of times, it's going to sound bad, but I promise it's so much better than you think.
2. There's a reason it's called a first draft. You can even call it a rough draft, because it's supposed to be rough. That's what editing is for broski. *cries*
3. Don't write something just because it's trending! You're not going to finish this book for another 2 years and chances are, it won't be trending anymore. you do you boo boo.
4. Your character does not represent you. Do not be afraid to make a character insanely evil and horrible, you're not evil and horrible, the character is. it's not the same.
5. Writing fast does not equal good writing. Take your time, go with the flow, find the flow, and write at your own pace. Words are words, no matter how fast they're written.
6. And don't shame yourself for writing fast! You go you speedy little thing, you're awesome, and your writing is awesome.
7. Please don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you that "Writing is so easy." Instead, throw them in a pit and let them wallow in their ignorance. Or better, make them write your novel. All 150043994 drafts of it.
8. Don't be afraid to kill someone off. Heck, go on a murder spree if you'd like (calm down JK Rowling) ok maybe don't kill everyone, but if it's necessary to the story, go ahead, you don't have to make it graphic.
9. There's no 100 step list to becoming a writer. All you gotta do is write.
10. Your story is never too crazy. Go ahead and write the romance novel about mermaids in space, there's always a first for everything.
spring is finally here and i love flowers
11. USING PROMPTS IS OKAY! Don't be ashamed if you need a lil inspiration :D
12. Don't force yourself to write, the flow and inspiration will never come if you're just not feeling it.
13. The worst thing you can do to yourself as a writer is compare your writing to someone else's.
14. The second worst thing you can do is try to closely imitate someone else's writing.
15. Don't ever doubt yourself. The fact that you brought yourself to attempt to write something is a brave and great feat, pat yourself on the back.
16. It doesn't take 30 days to write a book, sometimes it takes more than that to plan a book. You're not rushed.
17. TAKE BREAKS. You will go insane if you write for like 20 hours straight. And then you'll hate writing. And that's a disaster. (because your writing is a gem)
18. There isn't one 'write' way to write (HA IM FUNNY). In fact, I don't think you can correlate the word "write" with "right", because in writing, wrong and right just don't exist.
19. No one will judge you for being a planner or a pantser. once again, you do you boo boo
20. No one is going to judge you if you ditch a piece of writing. Maybe you didn't like it, that's okay, you get an infinite (kinda) number of chances, keep trying :D
DID THIS HELP?? AT ALL??? What are some other things you need to remind yourself while writing? Join the #writersstruggle with me!
Thanks for reading,